• 🎮 Step into the Uncrowned Gaming Arena – Sign Up Now! 🎮

Ready to Level Up Your Gaming Experience?

👋 Attention gamers! Tired of those distracting ads? We've got your back! Join Uncrowned Gaming for free and say goodbye to AdSense ads, immersing yourself fully in the world of first-person and third-person shooters.

Why Join Us?

• Community of Gamers: Connect with fellow shooter game enthusiasts in a friendly and engaging environment.
    • Deep Dive into Discussions: From tactical strategies to the latest game releases, join conversations that fuel your passion.
    • Share and Grow: Whether you're sharing a game review or seeking tips, this is your platform to shine.
    • Ad-Free Gaming Zone: Once you're a member, those AdSense ads disappear, making your experience smoother and more enjoyable.

Uncrowned Gaming is more than just a forum; it's a community where your passion for shooters is shared and celebrated. Sign up now, ditch those ads, and become part of a community that’s all about gaming thrills and skills.

👉 Your next gaming adventure awaits. Join Uncrowned Gaming – where every level matters! 👈

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

• AdSense Advertisement

Do You Consider the Wii U A Flop or a Future Classic?

The Wii U has had most of its great games ported to the Switch at this point, but it has a fantastic library and it's a fun console to play, but there can be no denying that, as a console, it failed miserably by Nintendo standards.  Do you think that the Wii U will always be regarded as a flop, or will it be a future classic, respected for what it was in its' time?

I think it has a chance to be a future classic.  It was a good console, just misnamed and poorly marketed, like the Sega Saturn. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

AdSense Advertisement

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/6/2021 at 10:07 PM, PGen98 said:

The Wii U has had most of its great games ported to the Switch at this point, but it has a fantastic library and it's a fun console to play, but there can be no denying that, as a console, it failed miserably by Nintendo standards.  Do you think that the Wii U will always be regarded as a flop, or will it be a future classic, respected for what it was in its' time?

I think it has a chance to be a future classic.  It was a good console, just misnamed and poorly marketed, like the Sega Saturn. 

I feel like it is almost a question of IF a Nintendo console cannot be a classic.  The Wii U definitely tried to break the norm in this regard, but I have a hard time believing any Nintendo console won't be a classic item at this point.

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 11 months later...

I remember getting the Wii U when it first came out. We played it a few times and then it was just left to collect dust. I remember we ended up selling it as it was never used. I now have a Nintendo Switch and I play that nearly all the time and so do my kids. I do see the Wii U being a flop over a future classic. It was Nintendo's way of trying something new and it didn't work out. So glad the Nintendo Switch did though. 

18 hours ago, Shortie said:

I remember getting the Wii U when it first came out. We played it a few times and then it was just left to collect dust. I remember we ended up selling it as it was never used. I now have a Nintendo Switch and I play that nearly all the time and so do my kids. I do see the Wii U being a flop over a future classic. It was Nintendo's way of trying something new and it didn't work out. So glad the Nintendo Switch did though. 

Nintendo did gave a lot more attention and even resources to Nintendo Switch console than they ever did with the Wii U. It's very obvious with how good the Nintendo Switch console came out and with the kind of games available to play on it, it's a beauty. You're even very fortunate to see who was able to take off your Wii U off your hands. 

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I haven't played it myself, but I don't understand what some say is bad about it. In fact, it just seems like an advanced version of the original Wii that I used. Well, can someone tell me some reasons why it supposedly flopped?

On 11/1/2023 at 9:10 PM, Jason said:

I haven't played it myself, but I don't understand what some say is bad about it. In fact, it just seems like an advanced version of the original Wii that I used. Well, can someone tell me some reasons why it supposedly flopped?

It was a culmination of multiple factors that all added up to its failure:

Bad advertising - they focused a lot on advertising backwards compatability with the Wii and also just focused on the tablet controller. Basically people didn't know it was a new console, and just as a tablet add-on for the Wii.

Lack of third party support - underpowered compared to PS4/XB1, and the tablet controller didn't help. The poor sales also added to the negative feedback loop from customers and developers.

One of the biggest problems was the Wii itself. The Wii caused a lot of damage to Nintendo's image despite the commercial success of it. People probably forgot by now, but the Wii did not have a good reputation with gamers by the end of its life. Nintendo realized it was very appealing to the casual market, and pumped a ton of resources to that. It was also cheap to develop for, so the Wii was notorious for the amount of shovelware. In hindsight, people can remember all the great games they played on the Wii, but forgot the long droughts between the big releases, and in between that, it was party game number 300, or shovelware. So by the time the Wii U came out, people were getting sick of Nintendo.

So when the Wii U came out, it wasn't given its own identity. It was heavily reliant on the Wii branding. "Remember the Wii? Rememer the Wii?". So you ended up with one of two extremes: didn't know it was a new console, or: people were pissed that it felt like a continuation of the Wii.

So while I say all that, you can see that most of those factors were less to do with the console, and more of outside factors. Ironically, despite the poor sales. The Wii U actually had more higher rated games per capita than the PS4 and Xbox One. Also the Switch ports of the various Wii U games are well liked, and very little tweaking. Though despite a ton of people who owned one actually enjoyed their time on it, the fact that the majority of the library is available on the Switch kind of defeats the purpose of owning the console.

• Like 2